Sunday, May 10, 2009

Christmas in May

Well, no sooner had I posted my last entry when in waltzed the mail delivery individual with an unsuspecting cardboard box. Could it be? Had my vehicle indeed arrived? Why, yes in fact it had.

I very unceremoniously separated the package's adhesive security enclosure and pried back the two flaps. I took a minute to reflect on this particular scenario. Here I am, a massively overweight, uber-macho know-it-all, who is consumed with giddiness over receiving a box of exercise videos. I almost let myself feel like a weenie, but i digress.

the interior of the package revealed a rather simple assortment of materials, just like pictured on the website. There was a booklet, poster, heart rate monitor and a box containing 5 individually packaged DVDs. I took a minute to look everything over. My first impression was that the materials were well produced, engaging and piqued my curiosity. I was completely enthralled by this point. I scanned the booklet briefly, tore into the discs and popped the first one into the computer.
   
I pause to remind you that i have been studying, but not applying the program for about two years. I engaged the routine for a couple of weeks and it was enjoyable. But something was missing. deep down inside i felt like i was missing something that makes the whole thing click. and i was right. when i started to watch the first disc, DDP was talking about something called Dynamic Resistance (DR). DR was the missing link that made the whole thing click. It all made much more sense once the DR concept was added into the mix. My guess is that this particular element was not a part of the routine when the book was released. Suffice it to say that there was enough emphasis on DR to count it an integral part of the routine. Now granted, i was already relatively familiar with the positions and such, but there is definitely some level of comfort in hearing and watching the pace in the vids. I do not believe that i should have any problems sliding back into the routine. 

When i first started in with the book, the workout plan part was a bit ambiguous in my estimation. I'm the type of guy that works best when i have a complete layout to work from. and that's exactly what was provided in the booklet. It outlines 3 different 13 week game plans for beginners up to advanced. It provides a great launching pad and reference point for progress and motivation.

I am glad that i have both the book and the vid set. Now i need a yoga mat. no problem. a quick to the local sporting goods store and i picked one up on sale for about 15 bucks.

Now, I thought the nutrition side was going to be a big difficulty, but as i read thru the booklet, it was very well spelled out and was much closer to what i already knew than some whole new paradigm. should be pretty easy once i get over the grease and cheese withdrawls. I was pretty surprised at a number of the allowances in the program. I used to eat like this every day. now to just do it.  

So here's what i'm in for at this point:
YRG book (autographed edition) $21.60
YRG video series (including shipping and tax) $86.03
workout mat $16.38 

Total:
124.01

I could never find a membership at a decent gym for a little over 10 bucks a month so i think i'm money ahead at this point. 

 

No comments: